Cake Gallery Slideshow


Monday, November 3, 2008

Celebrating the Years, One Cake at a Time

2005: Triceratops Dinosaur

2006: Lightning McQueen

2007: Golf

2008: Hot Wheels #5 Racetrack


The cool thing about birthdays is that everyone has one. And the cool thing about creating birthday cakes is the opportunity to do one each year for the same person. With kids, you also get to see how much they've grown in a year and how their cake tastes have changed in that time!

I have a very good customer, Mason, who I have had the privilege of creating birthday cakes for since he turned 2 years old. Since 2005, I have made a 3-D Dinosaur cake, 3-D Disney-Pixar Lightning McQueen cake, 3-D Golf Ball and Club, and this year, a Hot Wheels track shaped like his age-- 5. Each year, I never know what the birthday boy is going to ask for, but whatever it is, I'll try my best to make it exactly like he wants it! This year, I suggested the racetrack be shaped like the number 5, and I think it might be my favorite of all his cakes to date.

Getting to know my customers through their cakes is just one of the perks of my work! Children ask for the craziest and zaniest cakes, but they are always my favorites! Adults are more reserved-- white cake, white frosting, no decorations, often no challenges for me. But kids pull out all the stops and are only limited by their imaginations, which are boundless of course.