Cake Gallery Slideshow


Tuesday, October 9, 2012

31 Days of Tricks & Treats: Day 9 - It's All Small Stuff

You know the phrase "Don't sweat the small stuff"?  When it comes to cake decorating, it's ALL small stuff!

In recent weeks, I've found myself crafting tiny, detailed decorations for my cakes.  Repeatedly.  But this is, after all, the work of a cake decorator.  And I do love it, usually.  For example, about 4 dozen tiny fondant Legos:


Over 3 dozen individually molded seashells, starfish and seahorses made of white and dark chocolate, some marbled with coral tinted chocolate, and fondant.  Each molded chocolate and fondant piece was one-of-a-kind:



 Or how about some bubbly bubbles in pink, light pink and white fondant?


 Just when you think you've made enough bubbles for the tub, it's time to make more for the rest of the cake!  Each "bubble" is painted with edible pearl dust, for that bubbly sheen.  And can't forget the dozen and a half cosmetic and nail accessories out of gumpaste and fondant.  Each one is totally different in color and style, just like in my makeup drawer of course!


How long does it take to make many pieces of something?  Longer than I thought sometimes.  But honestly, when I'm working on these kinds of cake projects, I really get into that "zone" where it's all about the cake.  Everything else just becomes part of the background, both in my head and in my kitchen. Crafting these kinds of cakes is almost a Zen experience!