Cake Gallery Slideshow


Saturday, October 13, 2012

31 Days of Tricks & Treats: Day 13 - Buttercream (What a Scream)

Butter Cream Frosting
Photo from Google images

Poor buttercream frosting.  Over the past decade and a half since I became a cake decorating instructor and started creating cakes for others, buttercream has taken a backseat to fondant in the cake world.  Fondant is pretty awesome, I must admit, when you're going for a certain level of realism with your cake.  You can do so much with fondant in terms of covering and embellishing your cake.

But is fondant rich, creamy, fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth goodness?  NO.  So it's a bit of a shame that for many decorators, buttercream is an afterthought.  However, I have always favored buttercream over fondant and will tell my students and my clients this freely and often!  I love the taste and texture of a good buttercream frosting.  If buttercream is "old school," then I'm at the head of the class.

Buttercream, like fondant, takes some practice.  With practice comes confidence and skill, and that is true with buttercream.  That's why I was so excited to see that Craftsy is offering a Modern Buttercream course online by the awesome Joshua John Russell, one of my faves from the Food Network cake challenges! 

Not only is Joshua John teaching this class full of great tips about putting your cake together, making from-scratch buttercream and frosting a perfect cake, but the class is also FREE!  Yes, you can enroll in this Craftsy course for FREE and watch it over and over again.

How awesome is that?!  I've already enrolled, and learned something new in the first 6 minutes of the class.  Even cake decorating instructors can learn new TRICKS!

Check out this FREE course at Sweetest Whimsy's Craftsy link below:

free modern buttercream cake decorating class at craftsy.com