Cake Gallery Slideshow


Tuesday, February 23, 2010

FoodieLicious: Ugly Cookies

This is one of those recipes from my childhood that I didn't like or appreciate much at the time, but grew to like much more as an adult! I rediscovered this cookie when I was 29 years old and needed a recipe that would make alot of cookies to give out as Christmas gifts to friends and co-workers. I called my Mom and asked for this recipe, the name of which I don't remember because I just think of them as 'Ugly Cookies' due to the way they look when they come out of the oven. They are a conglomeration of textures and tastes due to the many ingredients, but they taste really good!

The recipe was originally from Theresa, our next door neighbor when I was growing up in the 80s suburbs of Dallas. I haven't seen her smiling face in 23 years but remember her fondly with this recipe.

Theresa O’Dell’s "Ugly Cookies"

2 cups brown sugar
2 cups sugar
¾ cup butter, softened
1 cup veg oil
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 cup flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
3 cup uncooked oats
2 cup coconut
2 cup raisins
1 cup choc chips
1 cup chopped nuts

1) Cream sugars, butter, oil together.
2) Beat in eggs and vanilla.
3) Combine flour, salt, soda in another bowl. Add to earlier mixture.
4) Add all remaining ingredients to mixture.
5) Knead with hands to blend well.
6) Divide into 6 balls. Form each ball into a log wrapped in wax paper.
7) Refrigerate dough overnight.
8) Cut log into slices and place 2” apart on cookie sheet. (Dough will not be very firm.)
9) Bake at 350 for 10-12 min. Recipe makes MANY cookies!