Cake Gallery Slideshow


Wednesday, February 24, 2010

An Artist's Life

I love art-themed parties for kids. So creative and full of activities to keep the kiddos busy! Even better is when the party is at an kids' art studio, so no artsy messes at your house.

I've been asked to create several art-themed cakes for parties at local childrens' art studios in town, and I always have fun with them. My most recent one was for a friend and enthusiastic supporter of my business, Carisa, for her adorable son, Robby. Robby's party was at Paint, Paper, Scissors.

Robby's cake was a mixture of buttercream and rolled fondant. I did an artist's palette with splotches of paint and a paintbrush in fondant. I usually don't do cakes entirely of fondant--few people ask for them--and I don't like the taste of fondant either. But I think fondant is great when used for the detailed decorations on a cake.














Isn't he the cutest little artist ever?!

I loved using the primary colors with the buttercream frosting and sprinkles. I'm a bit neurotic when I decorate with sprinkles and literally use tiny tweezers so I can put the exact color in the exact spot where I want it on the cake. Crazy, I know.

I hope I get another request for an art cake soon because I have a new idea for a multi-tiered cake with art accents . . . is anyone else having an art party soon?!