Cake Gallery Slideshow


Monday, December 22, 2008

Cupcake Cakes: Friend or Foe?

On the whole, I dislike Cupcake Cakes. You know, the "cakes" that are made up of individual cupcakes that are iced as a whole cake. I just think they look odd. Sometimes they just look really bad. However, they have been "in", especially for kids' parties, for a few years now, so last Christmas I made my first Cupcake Cake, a Santa Claus one:

Santa Cupcake Cake, based on some other designs seen online

I actually ended up making two of these, because they are quite handy when you're serving a bunch of kids who just cannot wait for an actual cake to be cut! I made one for our Girl Scout holiday party and one for my daughter's class at school. No one thought it was particularly amazing, myself included. (I tend to get oohs and ahhs when my work is really creative, but this wasn't one of those times). But it was cute enough. My cupcake cake curiosity was satisfied, however, and I haven't made another one in an entire year.

I know the large grocery store bakeries (Wal-Mart, HEB, etc.) sell these like crazy, but I think it may be a case of people buying them because they're there, and not necessarily because that's what they really want. I tend to get orders for whole cakes and cupcakes that are individually decorated. I've never had an order for an actual Cupcake Cake, and I can't say I'm too disappointed! However, I am always up to the challenge of doing one, and doing it well, so if anyone ever wants a cupcake cake, let me know!