Cake Gallery Slideshow


Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Foodielicious: Marinated Cheese

Hellooooooo, out there! Yes, it's me again. After over 4 WEEKS of nothingness. Sorry! Now it's summer vacation (although not a vacation for me who will be schlepping kids hither and yon to camps and everywhere else!) so maybe I'll have time to blog again!

The "structure" I felt that my blogs craved at the beginning of the year has crumbled rather inelegantly over the past weeks. With the exception of my downtime during my surgery recovery a few months ago, I've been just too busy to stick to a schedule. Again, sorry. So I'll do my best to post a little bit of this and that, but maybe not quite on schedule from now on.

Today I give you a yummy appetizer recipe, with my apologies for being away for so long.

This recipe comes from my friend Casey's friend Kathryn in Austin. It's easy-peasy and soooo addictive.

MARINATED CHEESE

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 oz jar diced pimentos
3 Tbsp. parsley
3 Tbsp. minced green onion
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese block
8 oz package cream cheese

Kathryn's note: I used fresh parsley and dried basil.

Slice cheeses into thin, 1" by 1" squares. It helps to put the cream cheese in the freezer for a while before slicing. Alternate slices of cheddar and cream cheese in long, narrow container. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over cheese. Cover and marinade in the frig for about 8 hours. Rotate container every so often to be sure all the cheese soaks in the marinade. Serve with crackers. Make it 24 hours ahead and you want to marinate in a container that is just big enough for the cheese so that the marinade almost covers it.