Cake Gallery Slideshow


Thursday, January 21, 2010

Let Them Eat . . . Candy Cake!

For several of my friends' 30th birthdays over the years, I've done a twist on the traditional birthday cake. They've received Candy Cakes instead. I first saw one almost ten years ago in a really unique catalog that I don't think exists anymore. It arrived boxed just like a real cake. It was $60. I cut out the pic for my "idea file."

Fast forward a decade and everyone sells a Candy Cake now. Multi-tier or monochromatic, all chocolate or lollipops-only, they're everywhere online.

I've made Candy Cakes in every size--super humongous weighed down with a ton of candies,all the way down to a petite cake atop a fancy doily. I absolutely love to create Candy Cakes. They're never the same each time. And I love going to the store and buying all that candy!

Now that most of my friends are hitting 40 instead of 30, I'll have to think of another twist on the birthday cake. But I did have a young-ish friend who turned 30 not too long ago, and this was his gift from me:

All-Chocolate Themed 30th Birthday Candy Cake for Tom

The best thing about the candy cake is that you don't have to eat it all up quickly; it doesn't go stale on you! You can eat some candy every day and stretch out your birthday celebration, piece by piece. That's a gift that truly keeps on giving!