Cake Gallery Slideshow


Monday, November 2, 2009

Wedded Bliss

Fall wedding cakes are much more enjoyable for me. For starters, there isn't the added stress of worrying how to transport enough cake for 300 people in 105 degree heat! Buttercream frosting melts quickly in the summer heat, causing all manner of upsets and necessary fixes. It may not seem like a big deal, but it absolutely is!

My most recent wedding cake order was for the first weekend of October. There was still a chance that the temperatures would be warm, but definitely not in the 100 degree range. However, it was in fact quite the opposite, with a record coolest temperature of 51 degrees for that date in San Antonio history AND unbelievable rain and winds that tore through town at dawn. We lost power all over the city, which was a mite scary for me as I had last minute additions to do to the cake before delivery and could not see in the dark or turn on my stove or microwave, as well as wondering how I was going to exit my gated neighborhood when the gates wouldn't open! But the power came back on finally, I dipped several dozen strawberries in melted chocolate, and we figured out how to exit the incoming gate to get to the wedding site on time! Whew!

Bride's Cake: Swirls and Dots and Fresh Flowers

Slightly blurry closeup of the cake

A view of my floral handiwork! (Wedding couple asked that I arrange the flowers, but I am not a floral designer, so I'm pretty proud of myself!)

Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Groom's Cake with Basketweave Design and Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries

Closeup of my Strawberries

The wedding was a Jewish second marriage ceremony for two very lovely people, and I was very honored to be asked to create their wedding cakes for their special day. Mazel Tov!