Cake Gallery Slideshow


Thursday, November 5, 2009

Eat My Sombrero, Ole!

Earlier today I found some pics of Mexican Sombreros that I'd saved, and it took me a few minutes to remember why I had them. They were for a 3-D Mexican Sombrero Cake I created for an adorable little boy's 2nd birthday celebration a few years ago!



The fiesta was very on-theme and included a performance by a Mariachi troupe that was likely enjoyed not only by the guests but also by neighbors up and down the street. Authentic decorations and party favors from a real Mexican party store on the other side of town added to the flavor.

As for the Sombrero Cake, the most challenging part of creating it was keeping the frosted fondant brim from collapsing due to the weight of it all. I love making unusual cakes, and I haven't had another order for a Sombrero again, but as this is San Antonio, it might still happen!