I love how this cake turned out! I also love the character of Merida from Disney's Brave, so it was fun to create this cake. All decor made from fondant or gumpaste.
Here is an example of how I very often am asked to turn a party theme into a cake: This cake was based on a Girl's 1st Birthday party theme, Hugs & Stitches, and matched the invitations, napkins, notes cards, plates, etc. The Mom wanted the cake to be butterfly-shaped, and although the butterfly on the design is blue, she specifically requested pink. No problem! Little Sophia also had a matching "smash" cake in the shape of the #1! It's such a pleasure to be a part of a little girl's very first birthday celebration!
Russian Matryoshka Dolls (photo from Google Images) Oops, I was just TOO tired to blog yesterday! But I'm back with a continuation of my previous blog about Trends in design in 2009. I said I would post pics that corresponded to the trends, and this is an item I actually found before I read the article! How cute are these Russian Matryoshka Dolls? I've seen several instances of the cute nesting dolls making their way into our homes by way of dishes, DIY craft kits, pillows, etc. But these ceramic Matryoshka Doll measuring cups really take the cake, in my opinion. They're actually useful, for one thing, and they certainly reflect the growing trend of Russian patterns and art. I spotted them in the Anthropologie catalog, which I always love for their unique items. Although I don't sell these (and I wish I did), I don't mind sharing with everyone that you will soon see these in my kitchen!
Photo from Google Images As I mentioned recently, I was a Career Day speaker at my daughter's elementary school for the second year in a row! Both times, I gave each student a copy of my favorite chocolate buttercream frosting recipe, one that I use on my cakes when people request chocolate frosting. (Unfortunately, chocolate frosting is rarely asked for compared to vanilla buttercream.) When I started the blog, I promised recipes and tips, in addition to product information and random anecdotes, so here is Sweetest Whimsy’s Favorite Chocolate Frosting Recipe, just for you: Ingredients: * 3 cups sifted powdered sugar, divided * 2/3 cup baking cocoa (ie. Hershey’s, Nestle Toll House, etc. I use either Hershey's Special Dark or Nestle Toll House, but you can use whichever brand you prefer) * 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened * 5 to 6 tablespoons milk, divided * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Directions: Beat 1 cup powdered sugar, cocoa, butter, 2 tablespoons milk an...