Cake Gallery Slideshow


Saturday, April 17, 2010

52 Cakes: Dr. Pepper Cake

Hmmm . . . how busy was I in March and April?! Apparently too busy to blog! My poor blogs, so neglected, yet I think of them often enough. You have no idea how many brilliant posts I've written in my head these past few weeks! Oh, if only wishing made it so.

I'm back for now, with apologies aplenty and hopefully enough interesting content for those of you who missed it!

The cake of the week is one I made for the first time a few weeks ago; I can honestly say I've never made one quite like it before! It calls for a can of Dublin Dr. Pepper. That's the Dr. Pepper bottled in Dublin, Texas, the "oldest Dr. Pepper bottling plant in the world." They use the original Dr. Pepper formula that calls for pure cane sugar, kind of like the Mexican Coke. I didn't have any cans, but I had 2 bottles of Dublin Dr. Pepper which I used for this recipe. However, the recipe states that you can also use Dr. Pepper from your grocery store or even Diet Dr. Pepper.

This recipe, quirky as it is, turned out possibly the moistest chocolate cake I've had in a while. However, it did not have a distinctive Dr. Pepper taste to me. But it was still quite good.

Dublin Dr. Pepper bottles at DublinDrPepper.com

Dublin Dr. Pepper Cake

Ingredients:
1 pkg. German Chocolate cake mix
2/3 c. oil
1 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs
1 pkg. Vanilla instant pudding mix
1 can "Dublin Dr. Pepper"

Directions:
Mix all ingredients well and pour into a greased
9x13-inch pan or jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees
for 30 minutes. Let cake cool.

By Belinda Starnes of Dublin, Texas on CakeClubRecipes.com